Quad HD Resolution: ProSiebenSat.1 Launches Ultra-HD Broadcasting
- At launch “Galileo Spezial” and “Rosins Restaurants” can be watched in UHD resolution and HDR
- Number of shows in UHD (4K) will be expanded gradually
- Satellite reception via HD+ and via own digital services from ProSiebenSat.1
Unterföhring, May 15th, 2018 – The ProSiebenSat.1 Group launches into the UHD age: From late summer 2018, the broadcasting group will produce and run the first episodes of “Galileo Spezial” and “Rosins Restaurants” in the ultra-high resolution UHD (4K) format with HDR. In the following months, more of the broadcasting group’s productions will follow in UHD. UHD offers 4K HD resolution (4K) and HDR offers a sharpness of image not seen until now.
To receive UHD services, ProSiebenSat.1 is using a range of reception methods: UHD shows can be received in parallel with live broadcasting in SD and HD via Astra satellite on the UHD1 channel via HD+. In addition, content can be seen through ProSiebenSat.1’s digital services, such as the channels’s web-streaming and red button service. A UHD (4K) and HDR capable TV is required to receive UHD content.
Nicole Agudo Berbel, Chief Distribution Officer & EVP Digital Publishing at ProSiebenSat.1:
“By broadcasting three reports of “Abenteuer Leben” in UHD via HbbTV in the last year, we have proven our innovation leadership in the digital segment. We are now expanding the distribution of UHD to more linear distribution channels. The higher resolution UHD, the high contrast range HDR and the expanded color spectrum come into their own especially with documentary and reporting formats. We are certain that our viewers will be enthusiastic about it!”
The spread of UHD capable TVs has taken off in recent years: According to GfK, around 40% of TVs sold back in 2017 were UHD capable.
- Sales | Distribution | Digital CommunicationMaurice BöhlerCommunication SevenOne Media, Advertising Platform Solutions, Distribution, 7TVTel. +49 89 9507-4139Maurice.Boehler@ProSiebenSat1.com
- Sales | Digital CommunicationMarcus ProschHead of Corporate Communications Diversification & SalesTel. +49 89 95 07-8920Marcus.Prosch@ProSiebenSat1.com